VBCorLib for VB6

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

cArray 2.0 Upgrades

Well, I've been adding the Find methods found in the .NET 2.0 Array class to the cArray class. The upgrade is going nicely. These functions will allow developers to easily shoot themselves in the foot because it required the developer to supply a callback address using the AddressOf operator. In this sense, if the developer gives a bogus value, then BANG, it all comes down. But, by allowing the developer to use callbacks in the manner allows for the array elements to be directly accessed without making duplicates or having to cast datatypes. This is about as close to a delegate as we can get in VB6.

I've added yet more documentation. It seems to never end.. I really hate writing documentation, but who else is gonna do it? In the end I'm glad it's there.

good night

2 Comments:

  • Hello, Kelly!
    I'm really impressed on your VBCorLib.
    It is really hard to reimplement feature-rich mscorlib in VB6, there so many language limitation.

    Just curious what's your motivation doing this hard work?
    I'm VB6 developer, but not using VBCorLib yet, currently evaluating.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/07/2005 2:25 AM  

  • Hello,

    Well, I've been asked several times about my motivation. I think I have forgotten it now. Thinking back, I'm sure I asked myself 'what can I make VB6 do today.' Looking around, everyone does something with APIs, custom controls, or helper classes. They can be excellent for sure. When I started using .NET I think I had a vision of what I could try and do. I really liked the .NET collection classes and wanted them for my VB6 projects. So, off I went, simply implementing the ArrayList. I had to learn to create custom enumerators, because For..Each is importand. Now the ArrayList required external resources for enumeration, so a library was being born. I really didn't expect it to grow this large, but once it got started, adding new classes was fun. And since those classes were built on top of the existing ones, I was actually excited to see the library use itself to accomplish tasks. Now I just add a new class here or there, or some functionality. The library is pretty much built, I think.

    Ok, that was a long response. Did I mention my life story somewhere?

    By Blogger Kelly Ethridge, at 6/07/2005 10:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home